Paxil Defective Drug Lawyers
Phillips Law Firm Can Handle Your Paxil Claim
Paxil is one of the highest selling antidepressant drugs known as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). It was introduced by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) in 1992 and has been prescribed to millions of pregnant women to control depression. It is just being discovered that potentially hundreds of thousands of children may have been born with debilitating and deadly birth defects. If you are or were prescribed Paxil while pregnant and your child was born with a birth defect, the experienced defective drug lawyers at Phillips Law Firm will seek the compensation you and your child deserve.
Paxil Defective Drug Lawsuits
- 2004 – The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) discovered that Paxil potentially caused serious birth defects.
- 2005 – The FDA issued a Paxil black box warning regarding the chance of birth defects, the most serious warning they can issue.
- 2010 – GSK fined $750 million to settle civil and criminal charges that it made and sold adulterated Paxil to Medicaid under violation of the False Claims Act. Estimated cost to the American tax payer totaled $6 Billion.
- 2011 – Thousands of current and former Paxil patients seek just compensation for birth defects.
The lawsuits allege:
- Paxil causes birth defects.
- GlaxoSmithKline knew about the risk and withheld the information.
- The company failed to provide adequate warnings.
- Anal Atresia
The child’s anus is either non-existent or placed in the wrong place on the body. Major surgery is required.
Either the child is born without a brain or there is inadequate development to allow the child to survive. There is no treatment.
- Cleft Lip or Palate
A lack of adequate tissue forms on the roof of the mouth and upper lip. Beyond the cosmetic problems, this results in the child having serious eating and breathing problems. Surgery is required.
Clubfoot happens when the baby is born with a foot that is twisted out of shape or position. Treatment is painful to the child, but fixable depending on the severity of the defect. Movement is generally marred for the rest of the child’s life.
- Coarctation of the Aorta
The aorta is underdeveloped and narrow. This makes it hard for blood to pass through the artery resulting in inadequate blood flow to the rest of the body. Fixe with a stint, it may lead to future heart health concerns.
- Congenital Heart Defects
These are defects in the structure of the heart and may require major surgery or heart transplant.
The head develops in an odd shape. For the brain to grow and to relieve pressure doctors must reshape the skull.
- Infant Omphalocele
The abdominal muscles of the baby don’t properly develop leaving them unable to adequately contain the intestines causing the organs to pop out of the belly button. Major surgery and cosmetic reconstruction usually required.
- Lung Defects
There are many types of lung defects from blood flow, to deformity, to underdevelopment. These are addressed separately with varying treatments that can be resolved through incubator or surgery. A lifetime of breathing problems may follow.
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus
A blood vessel called the ductus arteriosus fails to close normally (“patent” means open). Treatment involves inserting a catheter to drain the blood and waiting to see if it closes later. If it doesn’t, surgery may be required.
- Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension of the Newborn (PPHN)
The newborn’s circulation has not made the normal transition from fetal circulation to normal newborn circulation. Surgery may be required.
- Spina Bifida (Myelomeningocele)
During the first month of a pregnancy, spinal nerves and tissues come together to cover the spinal cord. Spina bifida means this process did not happen. It requires surgery and physical therapy.
We will seek compensation for your Paxil defective drug claim:
- Medical costs – Surgeries, hospital stays, and fees.
- Ongoing medical costs – Special apparatus, physical therapy, extended care.
- Loss of income – Lost wages and potential income.
- Pain and suffering – We seek general damages and special damages.
- Lost quality of life – Due to becoming a permanent care giver or other factors.
- Wrongful Death – Loss of a loved one due to Paxil side effects.
Get started with your Free Paxil Defective Drug Case Evaluation!
No matter where you are in the United States, Phillips Law Firm lawyers are dedicated to getting you justice and compensation you deserve. Call Phillips Law Firm at 1-800-708-6000, we are waiting to assist you 24/7, offering a free case evaluation. Remember our no fee promise. If we do not recover anything for you, you do not owe us an attorney fee.