Zoloft Defective Drug Lawyers
Phillips Law Firm Can Handle Your Zoloft Claim
Zoloft is manufactured by Pfizer and prescribed to 30 million Americans each year to control depression. Up to a million or more of these patients are pregnant women. Zolofts's active ingredient is sertraline, which is a type of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). Studies have linked sertraline and other SSRIs to serious birth defects. If you were prescribed Zoloft during pregnancy and your child was born with a birth defect, the experienced defective drug lawyers at Phillips Law Firm will seek the compensation you deserve.
Zoloft Defective Drug LawsuitsZoloft has been on the market since 1991. Only in 2006 the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) imposed their most stringent warning, the black box warning, regarding the danger of Zoloft and birth defects. With a 22-year history of potentially deadly birth defects, women are now looking back on their experiences and deciding to seek justice. Zoloft lawsuits allege:
- Zoloft causes birth defects.
- Pfizer knew about the risk and withheld the information.
- Pfizer failed to provide adequate warnings.
Zoloft Birth Defects
- Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) During fetal development there is a hole in the wall between the two upper chambers of the heart to allow blood to bypass the lungs, which closes upon birth in order to allow the child to breath normally. When a child is born with ASD, this does not happen and blood still seeps into from the left to right chamber. ASDs can go undetected can damage the heart and lungs. If found early,it can be remedied with surgery. An adult who has had an undetected ASD may have a shortened life span from heart failure or high blood pressure in the lungs.
- Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) HLHS occurs when parts of the left side of the heart do not develop completely forcing the right side of the heart to work abnormally and unsustainably hard. At the very least, the infant will require three separate serious heart surgeries and will be put on a heart transplant waiting list upon entering adulthood. If HLHS is undetected, the infant will die within days.
- Hypoplastic Right Heart Syndrome (HRHS)
HRHS is underdevelopment of the right-sided structures of the heart. Blood barely flows to the lungs resulting in a blue or cyanotic infant. HRHS requires open heart surgery where a shunt is placed in the heart to control and regulate flow. Post HRHS can result in other health problems such as:
- Heart murmur
- Respiratory difficulties
- Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension of the Newborn (PPHN) PPHN happens when an infant's blood circulation doesn't make the transition from fetal circulation (little circulation to the lungs) to normal circulation. As a result, pressure in the lungs increases and blood in the pulmonary artery is sent away from the lungs causing birth asphyxia due to dangerously low oxygen levels. Treatment varies depending on the severity.
- Tetralogy of Fallot This birth defect is extremely hard to detect at first. It is a fatal combination of four heart defects in the structure of the heart that change the normal flow of blood through the heart. It causes oxygen-poor blood to flow out of the heart and into the rest of the body is dangerous. This could result in developmental problems and seriously shortened lifespan.
- Transposition of the Great Arteries (TGA) TGA happens when the two main arteries leaving the heart are reversed (transposed). Dangerous open-heart surgery is almost always required. The child is held in the hospital and kept alive while they grow strong enough to survive surgery.
We will seek compensation for Zoloft defective drug claim:
- Medical costs - Surgeries, hospital stays, and fees.
- Ongoing medical costs - future , physical therapy, extended care.
- Loss of income - Lost wages and potential income.
- Pain and suffering - We seek general damages and special damages.
- Lost quality of life - Due to permanent personal injury or other factors.
- Wrongful Death - Loss of a loved on due to Zoloft side effects.
Injured by Zoloft
Get started with your Free Zoloft Case Evaluation!
No matter where you are in the United States, Phillips Law Firm lawyers are dedicated to getting you justice and compensation you deserve. Call Phillips Law Firm at 1-800-708-6000, we are waiting to assist you 24/7, offering a free case evaluation. Remember our no fee promise. If we do not recover anything for you, you do not owe us an attorney fee.