Pedestrian Accident Attorneys – Seattle, Washington
It is our job to asses all injuries, medical bills (surgeries, medications, etc.), physical pain, mental suffering and lost income after an accident. While we realize that no amount of money can replace your loss, we can still help you recover damages from the insurance company. You are an innocent injured party and we are here to help you handle the legal issues so you can focus on healing. The staff at Phillips Law Firm are standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to provide a free case review. Call or click today for more information.
Injuries Sustained by Pedestrians can be Particularly Severe
Injuries sustained by pedestrians can be particularly severe as pedestrians lack even basic physical protections. When you are walking, jogging, or otherwise enjoying our public roadways and are struck by a moving vehicle, the driver is usually found to be at-fault as the driver has an obligation to safely operate his or her vehicle. Most of these types of accidents are entirely preventable which can expose an at-fault driver to many legal consequences.
Another type of pedestrian accident that you may recover damages for is an injury caused by a property defect. Issues such as parking lot or sidewalk defects, debris left on a walkway or poor maintenance can be causes of non-vehicular pedestrian accidents. While pedestrians have a responsibility to reasonably protect themselves and see to their own safety, private property owners have a responsibility to maintain their property from dangerous conditions and municipalities have a responsibility to keep public sidewalks safe. Sometimes you may even find that someone tries to blame you for causing your own accident.
No matter how the accident occurred, you will likely need an attorney to resolve any issues related to your “duty of care”, to make sure the settlement you are offered is truly proportionate to any contributory negligence, evaluate any risks that could have contributed to your accident as well as investigate the extent and circumstances contributing to any driver negligence.
Steps to Protect You with Your Pedestrian Accident Injury Claim
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, it is crucial you file a police report after the incident. It is necessary to prove that the motorist was at fault for the collision. If you are still unsure who was at fault for the accident, please review the following laws for pedestrians in Washington State.
- Traffic signals (RCW 46.61.050) -Pedestrians must obey traffic signals and traffic control devices unless otherwise directed by a traffic or police officer.
- Sidewalks (RCW 46.61.261) – Drivers and bicyclists must yield to pedestrians on sidewalks and in crosswalks.
- Pedestrians on roadways (RCW 46.61.250) – Pedestrians must use sidewalks when they are available. If sidewalks are not available, pedestrians must walk on the left side of the roadway or its shoulder facing traffic.
- Bolting into traffic (RCW 46.61.235) – No pedestrian or bicycle shall suddenly leave a curb and move into traffic so that the driver cannot stop.
- Drivers exercise due care (RCW 46.61.245) – Every driver of a vehicle shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian upon any roadway and shall give warning by sounding the horn when necessary.
- Stop for pedestrians at intersections (RCW 46.61.235) – Vehicles shall stop at intersections to allow pedestrians and bicycles to cross the road within a marked or unmarked crosswalk. See Washington’s Crosswalk Law for more information.
- Yield to vehicles outside intersections (RCW 46.61.240) – Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right of way to all vehicles upon the roadway.
Experienced Attorneys Handling Your Pedestrian Accident Injury Claim
Now that you have found us, your stress and anxiety from your looming medical bills and wage loss can be easier to manage. Our Phillips Law Firm pedestrian accident attorneys are dedicated in their understanding of insurance policies and provisions. We help our clients get the most for their injury claims because we are extremely proficient in this practice.
Get started with Your Free Pedestrian Accident Injury Case Evaluation
At Phillips Law Firm, our pedestrian accident attorneys are dedicated to getting you the justice and compensation you deserve. Call Phillips Law Firm at 1-800-708-6000. We are waiting to assist you 24/7, with a free case evaluation. Remember our no fee promise. That means if we do not recover anything for you, you do not owe us an attorney fee.