In 2012, car accident fatalities increased for the first time in 6 years. This disturbing statistic occurred even though vehicle manufacturers have installed numerous safety features on cars in the last decade. Overall, 33,561 people died in motor vehicle accidents in the United States, with the majority of those increases coming from alcohol-related driving crashes.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recently released data from the 2012 year and some of the statistics may surprise you.
- Over 5.6 million car accidents occurred in 2012, 1.6 million were injury crashes alone.
- More than half of all fatally injured passenger vehicle occupants were NOT wearing their seat belts at the time of the crash.
- The majority of fatal crashes occurred in rural areas and increased by 2.3%.
- There were 10 times as many un-helmeted motorcyclist fatalities in states without universal helmet laws.
- Males comprise 70% of all motor vehicle fatalities and have for decades.
- 61% of large truck occupants killed in 2012 died in single-vehicle crashes.
- The increase in fatalities in 2012 largely occurred in the winter months.
- Children aged 10-15 saw fewer fatalities in 2012—a decrease by 3.9%, while teenagers aged 16-20 saw a decrease in fatalities by 5.7%.
- Washington car accident fatalities actually decreased by 2.2% in 2012.
- 10. The most dangerous times to drive are at rush hour (3-6pm) and late at night (9pm-12am midnight).
Car accidents are often catastrophic, leading to permanent injuries and disabilities. Yet even accidents that occur at low-speeds can cause significant injuries to vehicle occupants. Sadly, negligent drivers who are not paying attention to the road or who are driving impaired cause many of these accidents. When this occurs, you have a right to seek compensation for your injuries and for any damages to your property.
Contact Seattle Car Accident Attorneys
If you or someone you love is injured in a car accident, an experienced Seattle car accident attorney at Phillips Law Firm can help. If you are interested in learning more about your legal options, call us at 1-800-708-6000. Our Seattle personal injury lawsuit attorneys are waiting to assist you 24/7, offering a free case evaluation. Remember our no fee promise. If we do not recover anything for you, you do not owe us an attorney fee.
The personal injury lawyers at Phillips Law Firm have successfully represented injured individuals and their families in Seattle, Tacoma, Vancouver, Bellevue, Everett, Kent, Auburn, Renton, Federal Way, Bellingham, Marysville, Lakewood, Redmond, Shoreline, and throughout the State of Washington.