Seattle highways and interstates are often full of commercial trucks transporting a variety of goods and products across the state. From livestock to hazardous chemicals, these large trucks pose a significant risk to all those who share the roads with them. When trucking accidents do occur, the results are often catastrophic and deadly.
When it comes to trucking accidents in Seattle and across the country, did you know…
- Nearly half-a-million truck accidents occur each year in the United States: While this is only a small portion of the 10 million car accidents that occur, these accidents are disproportionately fatal. In fact, there are over 5,000 trucking accident fatalities every year.
- The majority of trucking accidents occur in rural areas: This is also true. Rural roads are typically narrow and not maintained as well as in urban areas. This combined with decreased visibility on many rural roads can increase trucking accidents. Nearly 70% of all trucking accidents occurred in a rural area.
- 90% of trucking accidents are caused by driver error: Forget about Mother Nature, truck driver error and motor vehicle driver error cause the majority of the trucking accidents. Fatigue, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and distracted driving all lead to fatal trucking accidents.
- Fatal trucking accidents cost Americans more than $20 Billion each year: These costs are astronomical, especially when you consider that almost 98% of semi-truck accidents result in a fatality. Automobiles are simply so much smaller than semi-trucks and tractor-trailers and this results in catastrophic and life threatening injuries.
- In 2012, 46 people were killed in trucking accidents in Washington State: Sadly, these numbers are on the rise. In 2009 there were only 31 people killed in trucking accidents. With more commercial vehicles hitting the road every year, experts warn that these numbers could increase even more.
Contact Seattle Trucking Accident Attorneys
If you or someone you love is injured in a trucking crash, the experienced Seattle trucking accident lawyers at Phillips Law Firm can assist you and your family obtain the compensation you need to recover fully. To learn more about your legal options, call us at 1-800-708-6000. Our Seattle personal injury lawsuit attorneys are waiting to assist you 24/7, offering a free case evaluation. Remember our no fee promise. If we do not recover anything for you, you do not owe us an attorney fee.
The personal injury lawyers at Phillips Law Firm have successfully represented injured individuals and their families in Seattle, Tacoma, Vancouver, Bellevue, Everett, Kent, Auburn, Renton, Federal Way, Bellingham, Marysville, Lakewood, Redmond, Shoreline, and throughout the State of Washington.