Sometimes when people are injured in car accidents where their vehicle sustains little or no damage, they are not sure what to do for fear that their insurance company will deny their injury claim. Yet, the amount of damage sustained by the vehicle is not necessarily indicative of the severity of injuries sustained by the driver or occupants of the vehicle.
After Your Low Impact Accident
- Remove yourself from immediate danger and call 911.
- Identify the other drivers involved in the collision, and be certain to get their name, address, home and work phone numbers, make and model of vehicles, and the name of the registered owner of the vehicle. Identify any witnesses and get their names and phone numbers as well.
- Regardless of whatever emotions are flaring, keep quiet. Don’t say anything at the scene of the accident that could be misconstrued as an admission of guilt and later used against you. Instead, write down all the details about weather and road conditions, vehicle positions, and take pictures if you can.
- Seek medical attention from your personal or primary physician or urgent care clinic (not emergency room) as soon as you feel any symptoms of injury. This is of particular importance to your case because one of the hardest aspects of proving injury in a low impact collision is showing that the accident caused the injury. Make sure you visit your doctor in a timely manner, and that he or she documents that your injuries arose from the accident.
When you become injured in a low impact accident, the insurance adjuster will scrutinize every detail in an effort to show you are faking your injuries. Avoid treating with a chiropractor, physical therapist, acupuncturist, or other alternative course of action until you have received a referral from your physician.
- Call and report the accident to your insurance company even if you believe the other driver is at fault. Your insurance company is entitled to be notified in order to preserve your rights to insurance coverage.
Contacting a Seattle Personal Injury Attorney
The laws regarding accident injuries are complex, and while insurance companies are well aware of them, most car accident victims are not. A Seattle car crash attorney at Phillips Law Firm can represent your interests and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve for your injury.
If you are interested in learning more about your legal options, call us at 1-800-708-6000. Our Seattle personal injury lawsuit attorneys are waiting to assist you 24/7, offering a free case evaluation. Remember our no fee promise. If we do not recover anything for you, you do not owe us an attorney fee.
The personal injury lawyers at Phillips Law Firm have successfully represented injured individuals and their families in Seattle, Tacoma, Vancouver, Bellevue, Everett, Kent, Auburn, Renton, Federal Way, Bellingham, Marysville, Lakewood, Redmond, Shoreline, and throughout the State of Washington.