Even though it is 2014 already, the 2012 complete fatality report has been finally compiled and released. The Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have released the 2012 fatality report and the numbers are not good. In 2012, there were more than 33,561 deaths –a 1,082 increase from 2011. What is troublesome is that large truck, motorcycle, and pedestrian fatalities increased drastically, as did drunk driving fatalities. Here are some of the highlights from the 2012 Fatality Report:
- There was a 6.4% increase in pedestrian fatalities in 2012, making it the third consecutive year pedestrian fatalities increased.
- The majority of fatal pedestrian accidents occurred in urban areas, at non-intersections, and at night.
- There was a 7.1% increase in motorcycle fatalities in 2012, making it the third straight year motorcycle fatalities increased.
- 10x as many non-helmeted riders died in 2012.
- There was a 8.9% increase in large truck occupant fatalities in 2012, making it the third straight year truck fatalities increased.
- There was a 4.9% increase in drunk driving fatalities.
- The majority of the drunk driving fatalities involved a driver with a BAC of 0.15 or higher (which is double the legal limit).
- People are still not wearing their seatbelts. Nearly 2/3 of the nighttime fatalities involved drivers and passengers who were not wearing their seatbelts.
- Males continue to comprise nearly 70% of all motor vehicle fatalities and have for decades.
- In Washington, there were 444 total traffic fatalities in 2012.
- Of those traffic fatalities, 33% involved drivers who were driving under the influence of alcohol.
- The total number of fatalities in the State of Washington actually decreased by 2.2% in 2012.
Contact Seattle Auto Accident Lawsuit Attorneys
If you or someone you love is injured in a car crash, an experienced Seattle Auto accident attorney at Phillips Law Firm can help. To learn more about your legal options, call us at 1-800-708-6000. Our personal injury attorneys are waiting to assist you 24/7. We offer free case evaluations and a no fee promise. If we do not recover anything for you, you do not owe us an attorney fee
The personal injury lawyers at Phillips Law Firm have successfully represented injured individuals and their families in Seattle, Tacoma, Vancouver, Bellevue ,Everett, Kent, Auburn, Renton, Federal Way, Bellingham, Marysville, Lakewood, Redmond, Shoreline and throughout the State of Washington.